Tuesday, November 17, 2009

disapointment

with the heavens...

I am a self avowed weather geek. Astrology plays a good part in meteorology in my mind and so when I saw Leonid Meteor Shower 2009Biggest Meteor Shower of the Modern Age show up on my Facebook I was stoked! We caught the Perseids back in August and they were awesome.

I don't know maybe it was better because we were outside in shorts and t-shirts and with good company. Now it is November in Maine the mercury is below the freezing mark and there is a frost on the grass and the cars. Now I am a Mainer born and raised I can't yet trace back all the generations but we are tried and true, but I hate the cold. So I didn't want to stay out there as long.

Well take a look at this link I found on the Facebook page of the Leonids;
Geminids Meteor Shower 2009 Biggest Meteor Shower of the Modern Age (huh??? sounds familiar doesn't it??) here is what else it says about this show;
The Geminids are now considered by many astronomers to be the most consistent and active annual shower. The Geminids are known for producing up to 60 different colored meteors per hour during their peak. The peak of the shower is on December 13th and 14th.

Geminid Meteor Shower for the best view, One should face east and look between one half to one third of the way up in the sky.

The best time is to watch is generally 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. on the peak days.

Let's see if Santa can help with these ones, and that they are worth freezing my butt off for.



No comments: